Be Inspired...Get Surefired!

Friday, May 11, 2012

The Power of Positive

What an amazing day! I am just so thankful that I got to be a part of it all...

A few months ago, Carol Ploen (the founder of an organization in Winnipeg called the Happy Monkey Club) asked me to speak at this 'event' she was planning called the Power of Positive. It would be a day for women to re-energize themselves and would include a handful of local speakers along with a flash mob dance. I wasn't sure how I felt about a flash mob.

They seemed interesting when I saw clips on TV but I had never been a part of one or really thought I ever would be. As for the speaking part, it would be an opportunity to share and (hopefully!) inspire others. It was also quite flattering to be invited to speak alongside such an experienced and talented line-up of speakers. Consequently, I agreed to do the gig.

Speaking on the 'Magic Bullet to Positivity'
Photo courtesy of Ron Cantiveros
As the weeks went by, I prepared my talk (The Magic Bullet to Positivity) which would focus on the positive effects of adding movement to our daily routines. Of course, I was a bit nervous (I wanted to do a good job!) but I was so looking forward to the day specifically because I wanted to hear the other speakers - Aisha Alfa on the benefits of fun & laughter, Kal Barteski on Positivity and Creativity, Getty Stewart on Fruit Share and the power of giving, and Deri Latimer on how to re-wire our brains for positive thinking. And I was not disappointed...all the speakers were AMAZING!


Sprinkled throughout the day were mini dance practices where we learned parts of our flash mob dance. The energy was super and by the end of the day, we were ready! Inconspicuously, we all headed out to centre court of Portage Place shopping mall for our performance. There were about 150 of us and we put on quite a show! Any hesitations I may have had about being a part of a flash mob have been put to rest - it was so much fun!

Check it out here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=z7jjOBlIa04

Thanks to everyone who attended and hope to see you all there next year!

Cheers,
K